Clogged or slow drains happen because people do not take care of what they allow to flow into them. Think of tea leaves, coffee grounds, scum, hair, cooking grease, and everything else that routinely go into the drain. All of these build up in the drain over time and ultimately cause clogs, causing the water to flow slowly. The best preventive step is to ensure that no rubbish enters the drains.
Steps to Follow
We at King & Sons Plumbing believe that when it comes to plumbing problems, prevention is better than cure. Here is how you can do prevent drain clogs:
- Throw vegetable cuts, coffee grounds, and similar items into the trash can or use them to make compost.
- Place all cooking grease in a disposable container and put it in the trash. Avoid pouring it into the drain.
- Covering the mouth of the drain with a drain or screen-grate of the right size reduces the amount of hair or soap escaping into the drain. Remove it from the screen and put it in the trash. This prevents soap and hair clogging the drain. Do not use a grate that leaves gaps along the edges as hair can slip through them.
Some Useful Tips
There are definite advantages to cleaning your drains regularly, though this is one job most neglect to do. Blocked drains can disturb your daily activities and can also be a burden on your pocket. If you want clog-free drains on your property, consider doing some things such as:
- Pour a cupful of baking soda followed by some hot water in your drains occasionally. The combination is an excellent unclogging agent and absorbs foul smells too.
- Follow a routine of running some hot water through your sink after its use. Hot water works on the oily substances (in your food items), allowing them to flow smoothly through the drain. This simple step prevents layers of grease coating the pipes and eventually forming clogs and slowing the water flow.
- Pour a cupful of vinegar into the drain and allow to sit there for half an hour. This is a helpful solution to prevent clogged drains. Pour some hot water over it. Vinegar has acetic acid in it, which works as an organic solvent and removes the crud that blocks drains.
As experienced plumbers, we find that plumbing emergencies appear suddenly, as if from nowhere. At times like these, you need a trusted and licensed plumber available 24/7 to fix your problem in such an emergency.
We offer emergency plumbing services to our residential and commercial clients any time of the day and night, regardless of the kind of plumbing problem they face. Our trained plumber will reach your premises soon after your call and solve your problem efficiently.
For additional information on residential & commercial preventive plumbing maintenance in Melbourne, feel free to call King and Sons Plumbing on 03 9993 7122. You can also get in touch with us via this Contact Us form, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.